Get inspired by the Urdd Eisteddfod
Urdd National Eisteddfod 28 May - 2 June, 2018
This year’s Urdd National Eisteddfod will be held it will be held at the Royal Show Ground, Buliths Wells between 28 May - 2 June, 2018. The post code for the Maes in LD2 3SY.
What is the Urdd Eisteddfod?
It’s one of the largest youth touring festivals in Europe with over 90,000 visitors every year. The Urdd Eisteddfod celebrates;
- Welsh culture,
- The Welsh language,
- The talent of children and young adults living in Wales
There’s something for everyone at the Eisteddfod, whether you can speak the language or not. Did you know that there's opportunities for Welsh learners to compete too?
If the Eisteddfod inspires you and you want to learn Welsh or develop your Welsh language skills there’s plenty of opportunity for you.
Why should I learn Welsh?
Speaking Welsh has a lot of benefits:
- It gives you the best of both worlds! You can experience two different worlds; TV programmes, music, culture, books and much more
- Being bilingual can open up new opportunities. Some jobs in Wales either ask for Welsh as essential or desirable. If you have Welsh language skills and the other candidates trying for a job doesn't then you're already one step ahead
- It’s alive and current. The IPhone has a Welsh option as does Facebook which shows it's available worldwide and recognised by global companies
- It has an official status in Wales meaning it’s recognised by law so it’s important and can lead to many job openings
- Find out the experiences of Welsh learners and bilingual families Live, Learn, Enjoy Cymraeg
How can I learn Welsh?
There are many ways to start learning Welsh or improving your Welsh language skills:
- Find your local Menter Iaith who encourage using Welsh language in communities
- Visit the official National Eisteddfod of Wales website and find out more about the centre for learning Welsh on Maes D
- Take a look at the Love4Language page on the S4C site
- Find out about the courses available on Cymraeg
- A lot of Universities offer Welsh for adults courses. Search for different courses available on Courses in Wales
- Take a look at the Welsh language courses in Nant Gwrtheyrn
- On Twitter? Join the @AwrYDysgwyr #aydysgwyr every Monday night between 9 - 10 pm which encourages you to learn Welsh and develop your Welsh language skills