Archive Feature

This has previously been featured on the Careers Wales homepage.

Wondering how to pay for your sixth form, college or university course?

Are you a sixth form student or studying at a college in Wales?      College or sixth form image

  • The money you get will depend on your individual circumstances
  • If you’re 16 to 18 years old you may be eligible for an
    Education Maintenance Allowance - EMA
  • If you’re aged 19 and over and studying for a further education course at college you may be eligible for a Welsh Government Learning Grant  - WGLG (FE) 
  • You will not need to pay back any money if you qualify for EMA or WGLG (FE) 
  • The deadline date for applying for student finance in academic year 2017/18 is 12 May 2017.


Are you applying for university this year or already studying at university?




Some courses have other funding options available:

Funding for students with Learning Difficulties and Disabilities

Funding for students in sixth form college

Funding for students at university

Funding for study at dance and drama colleges 

Funding for healthcare professions, teacher training and social work courses




  • Always apply for loans and grants as soon as possible to avoid delays in payment
  • You can apply online or complete a paper application form
  • You’ll need to have a bank or building society account for the money to be paid into
  • College and university websites will also have information about student finance and you can also ask about this at open days and interviews

Share this page

Select an icon:

Croeso i Gyrfa Cymru

Dewiswch iaith


Welcome to Careers Wales

Please select your language