Looking for a job?
Here are some hints and tips to get you get started!
Finding and getting the right job can be tough, so here are a few simple hints and tips to help you.
- Ask family and friends to help: Make sure your family, friends, neighbours and contacts keep a look out for you, and get in touch if they hear about jobs that might interest you.
- Can your 'friends' and 'followers' help?: Make sure your friends on Facebook and your Twitter followers know you are job-hunting!! Lots of employers advertise through social media so make sure you 'like' and are 'following' employers you would like to work for.
- Get yourself out there!: Contact employers yourself and take along a CV if you can. This is a great way of talking to employers, finding out about vacancies, and making a positive impression. Some employers ONLY advertise in their own shop window/noticeboard so keep your eyes and ears open!
- Need a hand?: The great news is there are lots of people who can help. Talk to Careers Wales; Jobcentre Plus and recruitment agencies for help with preparing a CV, job-searching, interview skills, completing application forms and talking about your options. We know it’s tough to find a job so don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Get on-line!: There are lots of sites and apps designed to help you find a job or apprenticeship. Many employers only advertise on their own site, so check out the site/download the app of any employers you would like to work for-you may be surprised to find they are recruiting now.
- Be prepared to travel!: Sometimes you may have to travel to find the right job and often job-searching in a wider area can open up lots of new opportunities for you. Check out different areas and transport links to see what’s available and how easy it can be to get there!
- Think outside the box!: Be different, be unique! What about jobs you’ve never thought of before that might be perfect for you? Try something new that makes you stand out from the crowd, be ambitious and keep trying!