Guide to completing your Vacancy Application
This guide shows you how to fill in the vacancy application.
The vacancy application is an online application form to apply for the following jobs:
- Jobs Growth Wales jobs
- Apprenticeships (For some apprenticeships you apply directly on the company’s own site)
Give yourself time to complete the vacancy application. An employer can tell if an application has been rushed so take your time. It can make all the difference to help you into work.
(You might like to print this guide out so you can follow it as you complete your vacancy application.)
Why should I complete 'Your Profile' first?
Your Profile is your chance to put down your skills and strengths, education, employment and work experience.
You can then:
- Log in to Your Profile and access your job information to refer to when you apply for jobs on other sites
- Store all your job information, personal statement and qualifications in one place
- Use the information in Your Profile to put into your CV
Step by step guide to completing Vacancy Applications
Step 1 - Log in or Sign up
- New to the site?
Sign up with Careers Wales now (keep your user name and password safe)
- Already registered?
Log in and you will find that the information you put in the previous profile has saved
Important: Use the steps below to check your details, as if you don’t, an error message may come up when you apply for the Jobs Growth Wales jobs or apprenticeships
Step 2 - Complete or edit Your Profile
You will see a box on the screen called: Edit Your Profile. Click on the boxes to fill in, edit or to check your details are correct.
Step 3 - Go to the Vacancy page to apply for jobs
You have completed the sections above, so now:
- Hover on the tab at the top that says Jobs and Training and you will see a drop down menu
- Click on the Blue box that has ‘Search for Apprenticeships, Jobs Growth Wales, and Vacancies’
- Click on the Searches tab and enter search terms to find vacancies that suit you
- Click on the vacancy you would like to apply for
- Read the job description and if you want to apply click on the button that says 'Apply now' (This does not mean you have applied at this stage)
Step 4 - Check your details
You now have the option to import Your Profile into your online application
- Tick the boxes of the sections you would like to import from Your Profile
- Click on the small triangles which are a drop down menu, and you can choose specific jobs and qualifications to import into your application
- Click 'Save and Continue'
- Check whether you are eligible to apply, and if you are, tick the relevant boxes and then click 'Save and Continue'
- The next sections (sections 3, 4 and 5), bring up your personal details to check. If they are correct click 'Save and Continue' until you get to Section 6 called 'Reasons for applying'
What to do if you see an error message
If an error message comes up it will say this - ! Missing or invalid information please check.
You have 2 options if this happens:1. Go back to Your Profile to make the changes
- Take a note of the sections that are listed as having errors. For example this might be listed as ‘Employment’ or ‘Qualifications’
- Write these down or remember them
- If you want this information to be saved for other job applications click on the link to Your Profile. You will find this link where you see the sentences near the top of the page: "Please remember information you fill in below will not save to Your Profile. If you'd rather this information to be used again in other job applications go to Your Profile."
- Click on the sections highlighted as error and make the changes required
- Once you have made the changes go back to the vacancy page. The vacancy you were applying for will be listed in 'Vacancies I am interested in' on your vacancy personal page
2. Make the changes in the vacancy application
If you do this, the information WILL NOT SAVE. This means that next time you apply the same error message will come back and you will have to make the same changes. So, it is well worth making all the corrections at once in Your Profile. These will save and you should no longer get an error message every time you apply.
Step 5 - Answer employer questions
Check that your personal statement is correct. If you add to it in the vacancy application it WILL NOT SAVE into Your Profile. If you want it to save go to Your Profile to change your personal statement and that will save.
You will be asked TWO more questions which you must answer:
- Relevant Skills
- Why I am interested in this vacancy
Tips for answering employer questions
It is a good idea to write your answers first in Microsoft Word, save it, then copy and paste it into the Jobs Growth or Apprenticeship application.
Get help to fill out these sections with our 'How to complete applications' pages.
Step 6 - Submit your application
Read through your application carefully to make sure it is correct, has no spelling mistakes and that you haven’t forgotten to add some information.
If you want to change anything then click on the pencil icon which will take you back to the section to make amendments. (Please note: If you make changes in the Vacancy Profile, it WILL NOT SAVE. If you want it to save you will need to go back to Your Profile)
If you are happy with the application then click on ‘Send your application’ and you will have applied. The employer will then contact you about the vacancy.
Make sure you log in regularly to check if the employer has contacted you. Employers will not always phone or e-mail you but often will contact you through the Careers Wales website.
All the very best with your application!