Accessing funding

Accessing funding image When you return to work and you’ve been receiving benefits, some of the benefits will carry on for a short period. You may also be able to claim new benefits.

This is a guide and cannot cover every individual circumstance. You should get more details from the relevant organisations.


  • Help with housing costs

    • If you were getting help with your housing costs while you weren’t working, you may carry on getting it. This depends upon whether you’ve been claiming income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support for at least 26 weeks continuously before starting work.
    • You may then continue to be paid the following benefits for up to four weeks:
    • If you're on a low wage and your housing costs are below a certain level, you may continue to get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit after this time.
  • Tax credits

    A tax credit is a payment that you receive regularly.

  • Online benefits adviser

    • Online Benefits Adviser can give you an estimate of the financial help you may get and how changes in your circumstances may affect your benefits, for example if you start work or increase your working hours.

Share this page

Select an icon:

Croeso i Gyrfa Cymru

Dewiswch iaith


Welcome to Careers Wales

Please select your language