Can I get qualifications without attending a school or college?
Yes - there are a wide range of courses and qualifications that can be taken without attending a school or college. You can study short, practical courses in subjects like using a word processing. You can also study to longer courses leading to a degree or even higher qualifications.
Distance learning can involve access to one or more of the following -
- On line videos and notes
- On line seminars (webinars) and discussions
- Books, videos, material and study notes received by post
- Telephone contact with a tutor or other students
- On line chat/text contact with a tutor or other students
- On line exams and assessment
Some tips for choosing a distance learning course
- As with all course choice – find out as much as you can about the course. Check out the course content and how it is to be delivered and assessed.
- If you have a career in mind check out the entry qualifications using our Get some ideas section.
- If you have not studied for some time ask for samples of the teaching materials . It might also be a good idea to choose a course where there is on line tutor support.
- Do you need a qualification that you can use to enter a career or get into a higher level course? If so you need to make sure that the course is recognised. Check it out on the qualification regulators web site.
- Check costs carefully. Find out what materials and support are included in the cost. Is the cost of an exam or assessment included?
- There have been several instances of bogus sites being set up advertising courses that do not exist. Check the site, the organisation and its background carefully.