Where can I study?
School or college? New city or stay at home? Go local and get back into learning? Learn new work skills?
Are you lucky enough to have a choice of where to study? Use our checklist to help you make successful choices.
- Can you get there? What is the transport like? How long will it take? How much will it cost?
- Is there good IT access for students? Are there learning support staff available?
- What is the learning resource centre like?
- Do you know anyone who has studied there before? Take account of their opinions – but ask about what is important to you?
- Who studies there? Mixed ages? Is there a mix of different cultures and backgrounds? Will you know anyone else?
- What are the support services for students like? Are there counsellors, careers advisers, medical staff etc?
- What else is going on? Are there societies, fund-raising groups, sports clubs etc?
- If possible visit the college, university or learning centre. If this isn't possible spend time on the centre's web site. Some university web sites have virtual tours – and all have lots of pictures.
- Have a look at any student blogs or student areas of websites.