Funding for students in sixth form college

Funding for 6th form studentsThe money you could get will depend on your circumstances. The financial help available is listed below.

This guidance cannot cover all individual circumstances. You should get more details from relevant organisations.

Top tip - Always apply for allowances or grants as soon as possible.

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)- HE is for young people aged 16-18 living in Wales who want to continue their education after school leaving age. If you’re eligible, you could get £30 a week, paid every two weeks.
  • Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG) - FE  is for students aged 19 or over living in Wales who are studying a course of further education at college. It is to help cover course-related costs, such as travel, books and equipment. If you’re eligible, you could get up to £1,500 a year.
  • Further Education Colleges in Wales have a Financial Contingency Fund that help students in serious financial difficulties. Only students who have explored all other ways to support themselves may be helped. Support from the fund does not have to be repaid. Enquiries should be made directly to the college’s Student Support or Welfare Services department.
  • You may be eligible for free or subsidised transport costs to school or college.  To find out, contact the education department of your local authority or speak with your school or college’s student support officer.
  • Your parents or carer may continue to receive Child Benefit for you until your 19th birthday.
  • Other possible benefits while you're studying
    You may be able to claim other benefits if you're a disabled student on a low income, such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

Funding and Support Guide 2018-2019

Funding and Support Guide 2019

Share this page

Select an icon:

Croeso i Gyrfa Cymru

Dewiswch iaith


Welcome to Careers Wales

Please select your language