Funding for students at university

Funding for university imageWhat financial help can I get as a student at university?

If you’re over 16 and plan to go to university or a college of higher education, you'll need money to live and to pay your way. The help you could get will depend on your circumstances.

Top tip - Always apply for loans, allowances or grants as soon as possible.

This guidance cannot cover all individual circumstances. You should get more details from relevant organisations

  • Student Loans will help you with tuition fees and living costs. Depending on how much you earn, you will start to repay your student loan in the April after you graduate or leave your course.
    • You can get a Tuition Fee Loan to cover all or the first part of the tuition fees your university will charge you.
    • If the fee being charged is not covered by the Tuition Fee Loan you can also get a Tuition Fee Grant. It will cover any difference between the maximum loan and the fee you are charged.
    • The Maintenance Loan is to help you with your living costs. The amount of available to you depends on where you will be living during term time and whether you will be studying in London.
    • Depending on how much you earn, you will start to repay your student loan in the April after you graduate or leave your course.
  • Disabled Students' Allowances
    Disabled Students' Allowances are grants to help with the extra costs a student may face because of a disability. If you qualify, they’re paid on top of any standard student finance you get. The allowances don't have to be paid back.
  • Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance to help with childcare costs if you have dependent children. They don’t need to be paid back.
  • Adult Dependant’s Grant offers extra money if you have an adult who is financially dependent on you. It does not have to be paid back.
  • Every university in Wales has a Financial Contingency Fund that helps students in serious financial difficulties. Only students who have explored all other ways to support themselves may be helped. Support from the fund does not have to be repaid. The university’s Student Support or Welfare Services departments have more information.
  • Bursaries, Scholarships and other awards. Universities and charitable trusts offer extra financial help. Browse the following websites for more information

Your local public library should also have directories of charitable trusts that offer grants and awards:

  • the Educational Grants Directory
  • the Charities Digest
  • the Grants Register
  • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

What financial help can I get to study for a postgraduate qualification after my degree?

The greatest difference between support for undergraduate and for postgraduate study is that, with the exception of nursing, social work and teaching, you can’t get a Student Loan for postgraduate study. Loans and grants aren’t available, but they are harder to find and the competition for them is greater.

Researching the funding available through the university of your choice. Do this as soon as possible as funding is provided to applicants on a first come, first served basis until it’s exhausted.

Postgraduate financial support for students falls into seven categories, as described in the Funding Database of

These funding sources, with the possible exception of Professional and Career Development Loans, can fund taught or research postgraduate study. Development Loans are intended to assist students with vocational or career related courses, and may therefore relate more readily to taught courses.

Universities may also be able to give you information about scholarships and locally-based charitable funding. National charities are also potential sources of support. The Royal Society provides grants to more than 1,200 scientists annually while the Funds for Women Graduates is offered to two outstanding postgraduates each year.

Share this page

Select an icon:

Croeso i Gyrfa Cymru

Dewiswch iaith


Welcome to Careers Wales

Please select your language